story by Mary Michele Little, style and self-image expert and owner of One Chic Mama, Inc.
The holiday season is such a wonderful time of year for many reasons, but of course one of my favorites is the clothing. There’s a certain excitement surrounding getting dressed, even when it’s just for every day, and adding that extra element of sparkle, texture and color can certainly transform the everyday into something special. Instead of your basic jeans or trousers, why not try a pair of velveteen pants with a simple embellished sweater? You’ll add a festive flair to even your most casual outings.
This season, the feeling is luxe and glam, with texture capturing our hearts. The good news is that you can simply add in an item or two and even your most tried and true basics will be transformed. Instead of a black jacket, opt for something with some sparkle or a luxurious cashmere cardigan. Make simple swaps for high impact on even the smallest budget and see how much fun you’ll have getting dressed this holiday!
8 Holiday Wardrobe Updates
Whether you’re getting dressed for a fancy soiree or a quiet evening with loved ones, here are some effortless ways to take your basic wardrobe to new heights during the season (hint: leave your holiday sweaters at home!)
- Bring in Bright – Jewel tones, incl. ruby red and emerald green. Or try a bold shade of pink in a skirt, shoes or even a scarf. Think outside the box and wear these hues in new ways. While black and red can be a perennial holiday favorite, it can also look harsh and matronly. Try red and winter white for a more subdued – and on trend – look.
- Black and White and chic all over – Jazz up your black and white, or black and ivory, by adding in a pattern with a dramatic contrast. Polka dots, plaids, animal prints and other designs keep it looking anything but boring. Add in a dash of color in your shoes or accessories for a whimsical spin.
- Metallics and Neutrals are a wonderful way to lend a festive touch to your most simple basics, a jacket in a metallic or a sparkly neutral (think winter white sequins, for example) is an easy way to update many outfits in your wardrobe. A metallic scarf is another quick and easy look. Whites and creams are red-hot this season and have never looked better!
- Glitz and Glamour – Old Hollywood glamour is back this season and looks better than ever. Try some sparkle in the form of sequins, metallic trim, embellishments and inlays for an understated dash of elegance on a sweater, a jacket or even a scarf. Avoid overkill and treat your embellishments as you would jewelry and adorn yourself accordingly.
- Velvet and velveteen – Try black velvet with rhinestones or metallic embellishments for a chic look. Jackets and tops with velvet accents, or burn-out velvet, lend a romantic touch to your holiday look. Velvet pants or jeans in a neutral or a bright add in a sensual touch. Select an unexpected color for a twist.
- Dresses – What would the holidays be without dresses? Try a one-shoulder version, a maxi dress or an alternative to the LBD in a gray or your best bright.
- Update your makeup to include smokey eyes using blue or metallic shades. Long eyelashes and smudged liner are a great way to embellish your everyday look and to be something more special. Try a lipcolor that is natural and has a little sparkle to it, or if you’re more daring, one of the season’s hottest reds.
- Bling it on – Accessories are a great way to bring a festive touch to your look and pull it all together. Rhinestones, gemstones, ribbons and pearls are everywhere this season. Go all out but don’t go overboard.