Lindsey Chester edits the CaryCitizen Calendar of Events.
Cary, N.C. – How eclectic are you? Are you up for this trifecta of weekend events in Cary: sports, classical music and the Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival? That’s what’s on the Calendar this weekend in Cary.
Sports: RailHawks vs Tampa Bay
In case you’ve never been to a RailHawks game, it’s not like watching golf. It’s a rowdy experience. The crowd is into it. People yell at the refs. People yell at the players. Occasionally, smoke fills the air.
The play is fast. You cannot believe how quickly the players get from one end of the field to the other. Goalie Ray Burse has to loft the ball so he doesn’t kick it out of the stadium.
These are grown men playing soccer full-on.
Saturday night, the ‘Hawks play the Tampa Bay Rowdies (see that word again?). TB is in second place in the division, but the RailHawks have been solid at home. More than solid. The Rowdies will have their hands full in Cary on Saturday night.
Get individual tickets or a Family Pack – 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 beverages for $49. We’ll be there.
All this week and next, the Cary Cross Currents Festival is going on in downtown Cary. It’s more than just classical music – it’s a great, ambitious mashup of the arts. Here’s the line-up for this weekend:
• Thursday August 2: The Lipkind Quartet – This internationally acclaimed string quartet will play works by Samuel Barber, Sergej Rachmaninov, Igor Stravinsky and Antonin Dvorak. Tickets to Lipkind Quartet.
• Friday, August 3: Side-by-Side – Two shows of students and pros playing together. Jazz at 5:30 and classical at 7:30. Tickets to Side by Side.
• Saturday, August 4: Signatures – Lipkind Quartet preforms signature pieces of music from Haydn, Beethoven , Mendelssohn and Shostikovich. Tickets to “Signatures”.
• Sunday, August 5: Brussels Chamber Orchestra and Horns from the NC Symphony – 3 PM show on Sunday featuring Beethoven’s Sextet in E flat Major and Mozart’s Divertimento. Tickets to BCO and NC Symphony Horns.
• Monday, August 6: Dine with the Artists – Very special three-course meal at The Matthews House with members of the Brussels Chamber Orchestra and the Lipkind Quartet. Meet the next generation of music royalty. Get tickets to this special artists dinner.
Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival
And now, an event that needs no introduction. The Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival runs for two days, Friday and Saturday, at Booth Amphitheatre in Cary. In their own words “beer sippin’, bourbon tastin’, music listenin’, cigar smokin’, and barbeque eatin’.”
Get tickets to Beer Bourbon & BBQ.
More Weekend Events in Cary
Check the CaryCitizen Calendar of Events for more happenings this weekend.
And if, by some chance, you’ve got the fortitude to hit all three of the above mentioned events, send us some pictures for the Weekend Events Hall of Fame. Truly a trifecta of entertainment this weekend in Cary.