North Carolina is recognized as the nation’s most military friendly state. This Saturday, The Town of Cary and The North Carolina USO aim to uphold that proud tradition with “Scoops for Troops” on Saturday, July 20, 2013.
Scoops for Troops
The Town, along with its community partners, invite everyone to come out and honor the men and women of our military and their accomplishments, sacrifices, and greatness.
- Send a postcard to the Troops – we’ll provide the postcards – you provide the message of support!
- Coups for Troops – bring your expired coupons – service members can still use them overseas and we’ll make sure they get there!
- Donation Station for USO – the USO at RDU Airport serves about 24,000 service members and their families each year. Bring non-perishable supplies to help their efforts – tooth brushes, paper towels, paper plates, disposable cutlery, hard candy and toothpaste.
- Ice Cream Eating Contest – If you’d like to reserve your spot to be in the ice cream eating contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also sign up at the Information Tent at the event.
- Ice Cream Churn Off – Who can make ice cream the fastest? Enjoy the fun as several teams vie for the title of Fastest Churners! Teams will be competing for bragging rights!
- The Next Best Flavor Contest – Is your ice cream the hit of the neighborhood? Do you think you have the Next Best Flavor? Here’s your chance to shine! The winning flavor will be featured for a time! Entry Forms can be found on the Town of Cary’s Website
- Games on the Lawn – Cornhole, Ladderball, Giant Checkers
- Kid’s Activities – Make and take crafts that kids of all ages will love!
- Balloon sculpture – animals and fun shapes made from balloons – made right onsite!
- Bands – local entertainment on stage throughout the day!
Collect Or Create To Get Involved
Ahead of the July 20 Scoops for Troops event, the Town of Cary is asking citizens to plan to participate in one of three ways:
- Donate non-perishable paper and grooming items to benefit roughly 24,000 service members based at the USO at RDU Airport
- Collect expired coupons that can be redeemed by service members overseas
- Create your own special flavor of ice cream as part of our Next Best Flavor Contest.
Scoops for Troops
July 20, 2013
10 AM-3 PM
“sprinkle or shine.”
Downtown Performance Green
corner of Kildaire Farm Road and Academy Street
For more info, visit Town of Cary.
Staff report by Dahlia Kamel.