Cary, NC – During the past 20 years, the First United Methodist Church (FUMC) in Downtown Cary has hosted a children’s consignment sale that has raised over $115,000 to directly benefit the local community. This weekend, the annual event is ramping up again.
The FUMC sale was one of the earliest consignment sales in the area. It began in 1992 with the idea to help families save money through reselling their children’s outgrown items, and through buying others’ castoffs at a discount. Proceeds from the Friday night admission price go directly to a family in need right here in Cary, identified through church members.
Kim Strong and Kim Schular of the Harmony Circle sprearheaded the first event. The sale has grown from its humble roots of raising $750 that first year to now raising thousands. In 2005 the Sarah Circle took over. The Sarah circle is a group of about 20 young women who chose the group’s name after the strong Biblical figure Sarah, wife of Abraham. She had many character traits that these young women hope to exhibit including compassion, patience, and faith.
What’s For Sale
Children’s consignment sales typically include clothing from newborn- size 16 for both boys and girls, baby gear and toys- lots of toys. What you won’t see: cribs, car seats, stuffed animals, VHS tapes or helmets. With many items on the recall list it is too hard for consignors to keep track of, and they can be held liable for injury on a recalled item. Stuffed animals don’t sell and VHS tapes- no one wants.
Its not too late to participate. Visit the website to register.
- Sunday, February 12, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.,
- Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.,
- Wednesday evening 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Thursday, 6:30 to 8:00p.m.
- Large items on Friday from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, February 17, 2012
- 6:00PM – 9:00PM – Shop for $5 donation to local family in need
- 8:00PM – 9:00PM Free admission to public
- “Power Consignors” also shop 6:00PM – 9:00PM Free
Saturday, February 18, 2012 – Half Price Sale!
- 8:00AM – 11:00AM – ½ Price Sale only on items not marked with “X” on the back of the tag
- FREE admission to public
If you have questions, drop them an email