Story by Lindsey Chester, photo by Hal Goodtree.
Cary, NC – With a green alien for a mascot, the Cary Invasion basketball team is preparing for its official tip-off on May 13 at Herb Young Community Center.As reported previously, downtown Cary will be hosting a new minor league basketball team, The Cary Invasion. After hosting tryouts last week, the team roster and schedule has just been announced. The team, started by Mark Janas, is part of the Continental Basketball League and will compete against teams in Wilmington, Savannah, Fayetteville, and Birmingham.
Team members have been selected, and many hail from universities of the Triangle. “The Raleigh area is rich with former collegiate talent, and Coach Johnson has done an outstanding job identifying the right players to fit the ‘up tempo’ style of play that we believe will be successful in our CBL season,” says Invasion General Manager, Mark Janas. “We’re especially pleased to have a roster loaded with names that will be familiar to many basketball fans in the area,” adds Janas.
Here’s who made the cut:
- Josh Coley of UNC Greensboro
- Brandon Hickson, Saint Augustine’s College
- Freddie Little, Monticello University
- David “DY” Young, NC Central University
- Will Roach, NC State University
- Jonathan Moore, NC Central University
- Daniel Jackson, Shaw University
- Charles “Chuck” Ward, Saint Augustine’s College
- Rodney Callwood, Shaw University
- David Chambers, South Carolina
- Raheem Oshodi, NC Central University
The team aims to capture the hearts of families in the area. Every home game has a theme and will offer discounted tickets to designated groups.
- Friday, May 13 vs Wilmington (Youth Basketball Night)
- Sunday, May 15 vs Savannah (Heart of Cary Night)
- Sunday, May 22 vs Fayetteville (AAU Night)
- Saturday, May 28 vs Wilmington (Town of Cary Employee Night)
- Sunday, May 29 vs Birmingham (Volunteer Appreciation Night)
- Friday, June 10 vs Fayetteville (Chamber of Commerce Night)