Recipe: Dumplings For Chinese New Year
Recipe by Chef Alan Panzer from the Kroger store in Apex, NC
Did you know Monday Jan 23 is Chinese New Year? How about celebrating the Year of the Dragon with a recipe for pork dumplings? It takes just 30 minutes to create from start to finish, and it is easy to spice up by adding chili paste or Chinese five spice paste if desired. Before filling dumplings, fry a sample of your mixture and taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Chinese Dumplings: Ingredients
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced
- 1 tbs. fresh cilantro
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tbs. teriyaki sauce
- 6 drops sesame oil
- Ground fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 package of wonton wrappers (round)
Chinese Dumplings: Recipe
- Combine all above ingredients except wrappers in a bowl.
- On a clean working area, place a few wonton wrappers flat down on surface (always keep other wonton wrappers covered with plastic, as they can dry out).
- Using chopsticks or a teaspoon, place less than 1 teaspoon of mixture onto the center of each wrapper. Do not overfill – they may explode!
- Dip a finger into a bowl of water and moisten one side of the dumpling wrapper with the pork mixture on it.
- Pick up the parcel and, with fingers, pinch the two opposite sized of the dumpling wrapper together, forming the parcel into the shape of a half-circle. Press all air out of the dumplings so they do not open when cooking. Keep dumpling covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
- In a large deep pasta pot, fill a little above half with water. Bring it to a boil.
- Lower temperature so that the water is at a low boil – too high a boil can break the dumplings.
- Place dumplings in carefully and close to the water to prevent them from breaking.
- Boil uncovered for about 10 to 12 minutes, checking to see if the inside is cooked.
- Gently strain or take out with a slotted spoon. They are now ready to eat with the dipping sauce.
I have two choices for you to make.Dumplings are not complete without some dipping sauce. This is very easy to make and requires only two ingredients. (see below)
Simple Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 parts teriyaki sauce
- 1 part pickled ginger juice
If you wish to get a little fancier, try this instead…
Complex Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ tsp. garlic, minced
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. scallions, sliced
- 3 drops sesame oil
A leek garnish can complement the dumplings. Cut off the bottom of the leek, slice it in half and then turn and split it again. Slit the sides and put it in ice water to sit. The leek petals will open-up easily.
This can be an excellent party appetizer, it looks very fancy and encourages peopel to group around a plate and mingle as they sample these home made delicacies.
How to say Happy Chinese New Year in Chinese?
The most common Chinese ways of saying Happy New Year are Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin) and Gong Hey Fat Choy (Cantonese). Even though the pronunciations are a little different, both are written the same way.
How do you write Happy Chinese New Year in Chinese?
Traditional Chinese: 恭禧發財; Simplified: 恭禧发财.
Comments are closed.