Story by Lindsey Chester.
Cary, NC – GameTruck Triangle will celebrate their first anniversary with a Super Smash Bros “Brawl Tournament” on May 5th . Part of the proceeds will go to help build the Downtown Cary Children’s Museum.
Gaming. On a Truck.
Lizette Watko, and her husband Eric co-own the Cary-based GameTruck Triangle business which hosts innovative birthday parties and camps in their traveling lime green truck. The truck is equipped with multiple large flat screen TVs and consoles for playing multi-player video games. The Tournament is a natural extension of their business. (See Cary Citizen story)
Lizette came up with the idea to have some proceeds benefit the Children’s Museum because the museum will focus on innovative technology and kids, just like GameTruck.
“We can’t think of a better way to celebrate our first year anniversary than with a tournament playing the most popular video game in our trucks,” said Lizette Cruz Watko, Owner of GameTruck Triangle. “We hope young and old will joins us, and help us raise funds to support the creation of the Downtown Cary Children’s Museum”, she added.
I queried Lizette about the rules (being a non-gamer) and she gave me the parameters that will apply so there will be fair play and NO CHEATING:
The basic Rules (this will mean something to gamers, but was “Greek to Me”)
3 stocks 8 minute, double elimination, best of 2 out of 3 matches
Prepare In Advance
- Controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors if there is a dispute.
- All people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Meta Knight is banned. (this must be bad!- who is this guy?)
- Stalling is banned. (Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic’s Homing Attack repeatedly underneath the stage is.)
- Any action that prevents the game from continuing results in a forfeiture of the match for the offender.
Drop by GameStop at Waverly Place Shopping at the corner of Kildaire Farm and Tryon Roads, in Cary or call GameTruck at (919) 637-2525.
Fees:: $10 by 5/4/12 and $15 on event day.
Champions will be presented with gifts and prizes, based on the value of tournament entries. Winners will be presented with a portion of the proceeds as follows: 1st place receives 40%, 2nd place gets 20% and 3rd place wins 10%.
Let the games begin!