Profile: Cary Town Manager Ben Shivar

Cary, N.C. – We met with Cary Town Manager Ben Shivar on Friday.  We sat down in the conference room in the Administration Building on Academy Street.

It was “casual Friday” and staff was scurrying around in jeans.  Ben had on a sports jacket and button down.  I teased him about it and he chuckled.

Ben is a pleasant, thoughtful man.  “Tell me about your background”, I said.  “Well, I have 33 years in local government service,” he said.  We joked about whether or not that makes him qualified for the job and then we talked for an hour and a half. Read more

Cary History: 1946 – Today

cary history 3

Cary, NC –  The half-century after World War Two saw a gathering steamroller of growth in Cary – residential, commercial and recreational. Read more

Eat Local: Brigs

brigs_salad

Cary, NC – When it comes to comfort food, Brigs can’t be beat. It’s a neighborhood classic at the corner of High House and Maynard in the Kroger (Maynard Crossing) shopping plaza.

Think of Brigs as a gourmet/diner, if that’s not a contradiction in terms. At Brigs, it’s not. Read more

Profile: Cary Fire Chief Allan Cain

CaryCitizen photo by Hal Goodtree

Cary, N.C.- Not long ago we met with Pat Bazemore, the Chief of Police.  The next day, we had an interview with Allan Cain, Cary’s Fire Chief.  Allan is a friendly guy, but matter-of-fact.  It was obvious he is dedicated to his work.  He just laughed when I asked him what he did with his free time. Read more

Hidden Giant: LORD Corporation

mcneel

Richard McNeel, President of Lord. CaryCitizen photos by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC – This story is the first in what we hope to be a continuing series about large businesses that chose to place their headquarters here in Cary. We call the series “Hidden Giants” because they’re big, and somewhat unknown.

We all know about RTP and SAS, but did you know that there are many other world-wide enterprises located right here in Cary? They employ thousands of people, maybe you or one of your neighbors.

One of these Hidden Giants is LORD Corporation. We sat down with Richard McNeel, the President of Lord, a couple of weeks ago. Read more

Cary History: 1901-1945 (Part II)

history_part2

Part II in the History of Cary series. This segment covers 1901-1945. Story by Peggy Van Scoyoc.

Cary NC – The private boarding school that Frank Page helped establish in 1870 became the first state-assisted public high school in North Carolina in 1907. Read more

Cary Artist: Jerry Miller

jerry_miller_1

Jerry Miller in his studio. Photo by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC – Jerry Miller didn’t start out to be an artist, it just turned out that way. But his pen and ink drawings of town history lay a fair claim to making him the Artist Laureate of Cary. Read more

History of Cary: Before 1900

history_1

Guest columnist and Cary author Peggy Van Scoyoc shares a brief history of Cary, NC before 1900 in this first of a three part series.

The First Settlers

Francis Jones, the first white settler, arrived in Cary in 1749. His son Nathaniel eventually owned what is the western half of modern-day Cary. Read more

Go Local: Circus Family Restaurant

circus

Cary, NC – Readers of Go Local have asked us to mention Circus and now is as good a time as any. Circus has an old time, down-home charm you just won’t find in out-parcel chain restaurants. Read more