Jordan Lake, Eagle Cams and “Citizen Science”

Story by Matt Young.

Cary, NC – Jordan Lake is beautiful. I fish there in my jon boat a few times a year.

I remember one time about ten years ago – my friend Mike and I were trolling in a cove. The water was flat. T-shirt weather.  Read more

Recipe: Cornmeal Crusted Salmon Filets

Story by Hal Goodtree. Photo by Jessica Spengler.

Cary, NC – I love all my Cary supermarkets. On Friday, I made a run to Aldi on Maynard.

They had one of my favorite items – skinless, boneless salmon fillets. Each fillet is about 4 ounces – perfect for a quick meal with a Southern flair. Read more

Cary History: Dr. James Templeton

Story by Peggy Von Scoyoc. Illustrations by Jerry Miller.

James Templeton was born in 1855 in Lincolnton, North Carolina. He was chairman of the school board for thirty years, founder of the Wake County Medical Society, began a newspaper in Cary which he edited, and was in demand as a public speaker. He was a candidate for governor on the prohibitionist ticket and a soldier in the Great War.

But most of all, Dr. James Templeton was a pillar of Cary society. He ministered to the sick and tended to the growth and well-being of the community in equal measure. Read more

Cary Parks #4: Walnut Street

Part 4 in our Cary Parks series. 

Cary, NC — As one of the busiest streets in Wake County, Walnut Street is usually associated with traffic, stop lights, and shopping centers. However, in 2002, the Town of Cary decided to change that perception and purchased 11 acres of undeveloped land at the intersection of Lawrence Road and Walnut Street. The result is one of the most interesting and beautifully designed parks in Cary – Walnut Street Park. Read more

Recipe: Jewish Chicken Soup

By Hal Goodtree

Cary, NC – Just yesterday, we ran an item about free flu shots from Cary EMS. But there’s another way to fight cold and flu season. It’s Jewish Chicken Soup, a dish so powerful it has been reputed to cure rigor mortis. Read more

Education: Kingswood Elementary Wins National Honor

Story by Lindsey Chester. Photo by Brooke Meyer.

Cary, NC- Congratulations to the students, teachers and parents of Kingswood Elementary School in Cary, recognized as a  National Title I Distinguished School by the National Title I Association. Kingswood is one of only two schools in North Carolina selected for this honor. Read more

Video: Science & Math are Cool, Kids

Cary, NC – For America to maintain a top quality workforce in the coming decades, science, technology and math education needs to be a priority.

Toward that end, 100 top U.S. CEOs have banded together to form ChangeTheEquation.org. In their own words, “Change the Equation aligns corporate efforts in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education to ensure that they add up to real, measurable growth in the achievement and STEM fluency of our nation’s young people.”

Part of the challenge is make those subjects attractive to the current generation of students. In the parlance of our children, growing up to be a scientist, mathematician or engineer has to be a “cool” career choice.

Change the Equation challenged its member companies to produce brief videos featuring an employee or group of employees who use math or science in exciting or unexpected ways. Many companies answered the call.

SAS won.

Congratulations to a Cary company and a flagship of the technology industry. Show this video to your kids.

Yes, Virginia, it’s cool to be a scientist, mathematician or engineer. In fact, it rocks.

You can also see this video on YouTube.
————————————————————
SPONSOR

Education coverage sponsored by Goodtree & Co, Inc.

Food: Roundup of Sushi in Cary

Story and photos by Leslie Huffman

Cary, NC – Sushi could be considered a trendy food, but I can’t seem to get enough. I find sushi to be a delectable delight both visually and to the pallet. My gal pals and I try to visit different sushi restaurants around Cary at least every two weeks for lunch and it is a favorite date night event with my hubby. Read more

Recipe: Champagne Cocktails

Story by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC – The bubbly will be flowing on Friday night in Cary and across the world for New Years Eve. But whether you fancy Moet, a nice Cava or serene Prosecco, Champagne cocktails are all the rage. Read more

Recipe: Christmas Breakfast Quiche

Cary, NC – In our house, we always like to have a hearty breakfast on Christmas morning – something that can cook untended while we tear open the presents and substantial enough to forestall the candy onslaught for at least a couple of hours. Read more